Thursday, September 4, 2008

TRIBUTES

There are so many things that one can say about a beloved mother, grandmother, friend, and mentor.

Here are a few you might enjoy:
___________________________________________________

  • Click here for one that was written by her grandson, Brian Berry. It has some pictures too you might enjoy
__________________________________________________

  • Click here for comments written on the times standard obituary site.
___________________________________________________

  • Click here to view or download a pdf of some memories from her granddaughter, Alisha Crawford.
___________________________________________________

  • Below is one that was written by her daughter, Karen Berry, and shared while Delma stood beside her in front of a Sunday School Class of her friends at Neighborhood Church in Castro Valley, CA. on Mother's Day 2008:


This is my mom, Delma Morton. She lives with Ken and I for 10 to 12 weeks at a time. My brother and I share her. She is 85 years old, and has always been a blessing in our lives. The Bible tells us that when we come before the Lord Jesus, he will say we have been good and faithful or he doesn’t know us. I’m quite sure Mom will hear the words good and faithful servant.

One of the marks we leave on this earth is our legacy. By that I mean what character traits we demonstrated in our life that others will choose to emulate. My mom is leaving her legacy in three powerful ways.

Her first legacy is one of faith in God. Mom was raised on a farm in Iowa. She was taught about God from the moment she was able to comprehend – as were her parents. I have memories of my grandfather milking cows while he sang The Old Rugged Cross. Through her own childhood she attended Sunday School and church, and she developed a strong understanding of what it means to place your faith in God. That legacy was passed on to my brother and me. She taught Sunday School for many years and started and after-school tutoring program at the church across the street from where she taught. Her example of faith has been there throughout my life. It was the basis of who we were and how we lived our days. Mom has always demonstrated that faith through action.

That brings me to the second legacy she will leave. That is her awesome example as a servant to others. My mom has served others for as long as I can remember. “No job is too small and no task is too difficult” was always her philosophy. By way of example, she flew by herself to the Aleutian Islands to see our first-born child. Mom would cook, bake, paint, clean, or can for, or otherwise support anyone who needed her skills. Her grandchildren learned that a grandmother can serve six grandchildren by herself on a camping trip. She would even bake an apple pie from the apples they picked and go fishing with them. She helped put three of her six grandchildren through college and grad school.

My mom served children for 35 years as a teacher. Most of those years were in first grade. Thousands of adults are walking this earth as readers and life-long learners because of her efforts. Many educators are better teachers because of the 10 years she spent as a professor in the Humboldt State University’s teacher credential program. Delma’s Creations was her publishing company for classroom books and teaching materials for 15 years. This is by no means an exhaustive list. Her servant-hood was taken very seriously.

The third legacy she will leave for her children and grandchildren to follow is one of perseverance. Mom’s life has not always been an easy one. While she has walked her faith and served others, the obstacles have been numerous. The lesson I’ve learned, however, is that you don’t complain about what comes your way. She taught us that when the going gets tough you look for things to be thankful for and just keep on going. It didn’t matter whether it was breast cancer or caring for a husband with emphysema, she simply kept going. Mom and Dad were married for over 50 years.

Mom is truly one of the most joyful people I know. She has lived the instructions found in Philippians 2 verses 3 and 4,

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.

Thank you for allowing me to give this tribute. I’m very thankful for my mom and her legacies.

___________________________________________________

  • THESE ARE COPIED FROM THE TIME'S STANDARD PAPER SO THEY WOULD NOT BE LOST BEFORE THEY WERE DELETED DUE TO THEIR TIME DEADLINE FOR POSTING:





September 30, 2008
When I was student-teaching, I was sent over to Delma's room to watch a pro in action...she always had such an incredible organization and was the pride of Eureka City Schools. Then I got to actually meet her when I was making Big Books at the Teacher's Center. She saw how I was doing these books and she was off! I illustrated her early books and we went down to the Kindergarten Conference and took it by storm! The second year we went they only gave us one table but somehow we managed to share it! Delma encouraged me to go back to school and get my Masters in Ed. so I could supervise student teachers, following in her footsteps. She was supervising a student teacher when I was teaching Kindergarten and came in for observation. We were talking about the lesson and kids would come up to talk us and Delma would stop whatever we were talking about and talk to the child right to their level, showing genuine interest and concern.
She was such an incredible role model and an astiture business woman. I had no head for business and she showed me how to do it right when we were marketing our books. Delma was a force of nature, there'l never be another like her. I'm sure you were very proud to have her as your mom. I musn't forget her laugh...she knew how to laugh at herself and at other situations. She leaves a big space, she was a very special person.


Barbara Saul (Eureka, CA)


September 23, 2008
Remembering your "Orchard" Delma, and your submission to our Creator. We will miss you in the big blue comfy chair at Mary's sharing in our small group. Happy Homecoming and continued joy with Jesus (and maybe chocolate, ha!). We all love you!
Sharon Breedlove (San Leandro, CA)

September 18, 2008
Delma and I became friends while we worked with the Teacher Preparation Program at Humboldt State. She had so much to offer after her years of experience as an outstanding teacher of young children. I'll never forget the "wild" trip we took driving to Long Beach to attend a conference and sell her wonderful children's books. Delma was also a member of the organization, Delta Kappa Gamma, made up of dedicated women who are teachers and also those who have retired but still are passionate about education. We love you, Delma.
Marilyn Tucker (Arcata, CA)

September 10, 2008
I will always remember the infectious little giggle Aunt Delma had when she laughed.
As a little girl, I remember looking forward to going to "Aunt Del & Uncle Rog's" house because Aunt Delma always made me feel a certain kind of special that was all my own and because she always had lots of yummy stuff in the kitchen, usually things she had made from scratch, that we would get to eat. I liked Uncle Roger's big, deep voice and how he teased me lots and laughed at/with me.
Now that I think about it, I guess I liked and looked forward to all of these things at the Morton's house for most of my life and not just when I was a little girl!
My thoughts are with Aunt Delma's family, and especially with my cousins, who have always been so genuinely nice, gracious, and kind to me.
Jill Harland (Loleta, CA)

September 10, 2008
Mrs. Morton was one of my husband and my favorite teachers at Alice Birney Elementary School in the mid 1960s. Our thoughts are with your family.
Jim and Debbie Auker (Oldham) (San Jose, CA)

___________________________________________________
  • IF YOU HAVE A TRIBUTE OF YOUR OWN, WE WOULD LOVE IT IF YOU WOULD POST IT IN A COMMENT HERE TO SHARE WITH THOSE WHO VISIT.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your mother was my 1st grade teacher at Alice Birney in 1961.

I specifically remember a light blue cotton dress she wore. It had a full skirt and a tightly cinched belt. Her curly brown hair was always so shiny and perfectly styled. I remember thinking she was so pretty.

She was one of a few teachers that I continued to think about through the years. I was very shy and I remember her being so patient and kind.

My parents knew your Mom and Dad casually. My Dad was quite the character back in the day, and I believe your father was as well. Dad told some rather funny stories about your Dad. I seem to remember that he was a pilot. I also think they lived near the school, but I could be mistaken. It was a LONG time ago!

It was nice to see the recent photos of your mom. Her face continued to reflect her warmth and kindness.

I felt saddened when I read the news today of her passing. But she leaves wonderful memories for those of us who were children many years ago, who had the good fortune to have her for a teacher.

Anonymous said...

We were colleagues of Delma's for many years at Alice Birney. She was our dear friend and mentor during those years. She was truly a wonderful person and gifted educator. It was a privilege to have known her. Our thoughts are with her family.
Dick and Anna McFarland

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am Alisha Crawford, Grandma Delma's granddaughter, and Karen Berry's daughter. These are a couple of emails about Grandma in the week or so I thought I'd share here.

This is an email I received from my sister-in-law, Terri LaBrie:

Dear Alisha,
I just got word that your Grandma Delma has gone home to be with Jesus.
We are sending you all hugs and prayers for comfort, peace and strength.
I know your mom and dad must be thankful that they
got to spend some time with her after getting back from their trip. Gosh, your
grandma was an amazing lady. I know you loved her dearly and she was a
gifted teacher that passed that on to your mom and you!! What a blessing that
she will not be suffering anymore, but I know that doesn't take away from your
grieving her loss. We are praying! Big hugs to you guys, love you, Terri for all us La Brie's xoxoxoxo


This is a email I received from a very dear friend of mine who has also camped with our family and grandma a time or two:
Oh, grandma Delma…what a special grandma to have for all those years! I’m sorry for the irreplaceable hole in your family, but so glad you were able to really share so much with your grandma. I’ll pray for you as you sort out your feelings of loss, thankfulness, homesickness and happy memories. Your mom and dad sure were wonderful children to her. Here’s what comes to mind for me as I think of your grandma: Her looking dapper for your wedding activities, me sending an invitation to her addressed to “grandma Delma” (a little rusty on etiquette!), canned tuna in the cupboard of our apartments, her perched in the corner of your parents living room, and I also think of how she passed on her love of kids, teaching and learning to your mother then to you. What a special lady.

Sending Hugs to you, Libby

Shelly Smith said...

I have so many good memories of Delma that it is going to be hard to sort them out. First I remember Delma for being spunky! She had more spunk than anyone I have ever known. Second, her unending energy made me tired just watching her. :0) I knew Delma for many years, as a first grade teacher at Alice Birney (both as a student and an instructional assistant when I was older). When I went back to Humboldt to get my teaching credential I was lucky enough to have Delma (and ALL of her wisdom) as my supervisor. When Delma began going to the Kindergarten Conference to sell her "Big Books" she hired me to go with her. Going someplace with Delma was always an adventure. The first Kindergarten conference I went to with her we stayed in a motel by the SF Zoo. It was less than a 5 star motel and when we got into the room, Delma looked at me and said..."How did we end up in this dump?" She had made the reservation based on another experience and it was fairly close to the conference site. That night at dinner she was so tired that she kept falling asleep with her scallops half way to her mouth. We got our food to go and went back to the room to eat. I'm not sure she ever did finish eating that night.. and she certainly missed her "dessert" (a bowl of ice cream). After that she always had me call and make the hotel reservations for our trips.
Another time we checked into a much nicer hotel, got our key and went upstairs to our room. When we got there the key would not work and the sign said "Do Not Disturb!" I told Delma to wait while I went downstairs to sort things out. As I was standing in line the phone rang and after answering the phone, one of the desk clerks turned as asked, "Who rented out room ---? This gentleman says there is some lady pounding on his door telling him to get out of her room!" Yes that was Delma and the gentleman was a sleeping pilot (or at least he was trying to sleep). It didn't take them very long to get us a new room!
There were so many conferences over the years and at all of them there was some funny experience centered around Delma. After dinner every night we would have to have dessert, which was always a bowl of ice cream.
I feel so lucky to have known her and been a part of her life. She loved her sweets, her coffee (and none of that "fancy stuff"!), Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune! Anytime I was at the house helping her get ready for a Kindergarten Conference we would have to stop and watch before we finished!

I could go on and on. I was lucky enough to know Delma and her family. What wonderful people you all are and I know how much you will miss her!
I think of her often and just days before I got Karen's phone call about her, we were talking about Delma and her teaching abilities in the staff room at Alice Birney. Teacher's there were wondering where she was living. Talk turned to her teaching abilities because it was common knowledge that Delma could teach anyone to read! I remember people saying many years ago that Delma was so good... "She could teach a rock to read!" She was one of a kind!

My love and thoughts are with all of you!

Shelly Smith

Anonymous said...

I was so saddened to hear of the loss of your mother, Delma. She was my master teacher in 1975 at Alice Birney and I am so grateful to have begun my teaching career with her. I was a young, "green" teacher and scared to death of the students but Delma pulled me along and shaped me into the teacher that I am today! I remember that we had what she called a three-ring circus and the children moved from centers, teacher, and instructional aide. She believed in individualized instruction, taking each child where they were at and teaching to their strengths or weaknesses. She was tough but she loved them and I will always remember her telling me that I as their student teacher was doing them no favor by lowering my expectation of them in behavior or academics. She was a taskmaster to her students and to her student teachers and we respected her and ourselves for that.

If you were one of Delma's student teachers, you soon learned that teaching was not a 9-5 job! We spent untold hours on the weekends and nights making hand-made materials for our classrooms. Remember the language master and laminating reams of duplicated game boards and flash cards? Those were not the days of Powerpoint!

But Delma's gift was more than a solid work ethic. She fervently believed in the right of all children to learn and her job was to teach young teachers to be the best teachers they could be. I will always remember her words when I had a difficult student that wasn't learning that I should look at my lesson for improvement and not the student. And I have carried those words as my guiding philosophy in over 30 years of teaching -- 1st grade (which was my love), Kindergarten, middle school GATE students, and now Freshman English at College of the Redwoods. Delma had a passion for teaching and she passed it on to her student teachers -- what an enduring legacy!

She was always kind and generous -- with her time to help her student and fellow teachers and with her own students, often inviting her whole class to tea with her Desert Rose china. The children were so impressed and awed to be in their teacher's home drinking tea -- an experience many will never forget.

I saw Delma briefly at dinner at Babetta's a few months ago and I was so happy I could see my mentor and friend one last time. I am also glad that she was able to spend happy times with her family during the last few years as she always spoke so fondly of her children and grandchildren. My thoughts and prayers are with the family in the loss of this great lady.

Libby Yee